Whether you’re a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident, if you want to apply for naturalization, you will need to file Form N-565. This form is used to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged citizenship or naturalization certificate. It can also be used to request a corrected certificate which can be done with the help of an expert immigration attorney in Los Angeles.

If you were born a U.S. citizen and need proof of your citizenship, you can also use this form to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship.

Why do you need Form N-565?

Generally, you will use Form N-565 if:

  • You want to replace a lost or stolen naturalization or citizenship certificate;
  • Your certificate was damaged and is unreadable;
  • Your name has changed since you were granted citizenship or last, had your certificate issued, and you want a corrected certificate issued; or
  • You wish to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship.

What Information Do I Need To Include On My Form N-565?

When you complete your Form N-565 through an expert immigration attorney in Los Angeles, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your full name, date and place of birth, present mailing address, and telephone number;
  • Your Alien Registration Number or USCIS Online Account Number;
  • Information about your U.S. citizen spouse or parent, if applicable;
  • Whether you are requesting a replacement citizenship certificate or a naturalization certificate;
  • The reason you are requesting a new certificate; and
  • Your biometrics (fingerprints, photo, and signature).

You will also need to include supporting documentation with your Form N-565. This may include proof of your U.S. citizenship or naturalization, proof of your identity, and evidence to show why you need a new certificate.

For example, if you are requesting a replacement citizenship certificate, you will need to submit a copy of your birth certificate or previous citizenship certificate. If you are requesting a corrected citizenship certificate, you will need to include proof of your name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order).

If you cannot provide some of the required documentation, USCIS may still issue your new certificate if they can verify your information in other ways. For example, USCIS may check their records or contact another government agency to verify your information.

How Do I File Form N-565?

You can file Form N-565 online or by mail or simply through an immigration attorney in Los Angeles. If you file online, you will need to create a USCIS online account.

If you file by mail, you will need to send your completed form and supporting documentation to the address listed on the form instructions. You will also need to include the appropriate filing fee or a request for a fee waiver.

Can I Get A Fee Waiver For Form N-565?

You may be able to get a fee waiver for Form N-565 if you cannot afford the filing fee. To request a fee waiver, you will need to complete and submit Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver. You will need to provide evidence that you are unable to pay the filing fee.

What Happens After I File Form N-565?

After you file Form N-565, USCIS will review your application and supporting documentation. If they need more information from you, they will send you a request for evidence.

If your application is approved, USCIS will mail you your new citizenship or naturalization certificate.

If your application is denied, USCIS will send you a notice explaining why your application was denied and what steps you can take to appeal the decision.

How Can I Get Help With My Form N-565?

If you need help with your Form N-565, you can contact an immigration attorney in Los Angeles at Di Martino Law Group for assistance. You can also get help from a qualified immigration attorney or accredited representative.

An immigration attorney in Los Angeles can help you complete and file your Form N-565. They can also represent you in court if your application is denied and you need to appeal the decision. To find an immigration attorney or accredited representative near you, visit Di Martino Law Group.